Conditional sentences in songs

We can find lots of examples of conditional sentences in the songs we listen to.

The bits of songs below give some practice with conditional sentences type 0 and 1.


Rain – The Beatles


If the rain 1) (come)

they run and 2) (hide) their heads

They might as well be dead
If the rain comes, if the rain comes

When the sun 3) (shine)

they 4) (slip) into the shade

(When the sun shines down)
And 5) (drink) their lemonade

(When the sun shines down)
When the sun shines, when the sun shines

Rain, I don't mind
Shine, the weather's fine

I can show you that when it 6) (start) to rain

When the rain comes down)
Everything 7) (be) the same

(When the rain 8) (come) down)
I can show you, I can show you

Rain, I don't mind
Shine, the weather's fine


If you love someone – The Veronicas


If you love someone
If you love someone

9) (wake) up in the morning, take a breath and let it out

Just 10) (forget) tomorrow's ever gonna come around

Everybody's medicating, taking time and waiting for the right time
In the short life, but it's your life

We can run around in circles we make or we could run straight ahead
Never ever let the moment pass by when all that matters in the end

If you love someone,
then 11) (tell) them right now
'Cause your heart won't rest 'till you let it out
Let the words you dream come out of your mouth
If you 12) (love) someone you gotta make a sound
If you love someone you gotta make a sound
If you love someone

If I lose myself tonight – One Republic


I stared up at the sun,
Thought of all of the people, places and things I’ve loved.
I stared up just to see
With all of the faces, you were the one next to me.

You can feel the light start to tremble,
Washing what you know out to sea.
You can see your life out of the window tonight.

If I 13) (lose) myself tonight,

14) (it/be) by your side.
I lose myself tonight...
(oh) yeah, yeah, yeah.

If I 15) (lose) myself tonight,
16) (it / be) you and I.
Lose myself tonight...

If you don’t know me by now – Simply Red


If you 17) (not / know) me by now

You 18) (never never never / know) me

All the things
That we've been through
You should understand me
Like I understand you
Now girl I know the difference
Between right and wrong
I ain't gonna do nothing
To break up our happy home
19) (not / get) so excited

When I 20) (come) home

A little late at night
Cos we only 21) (act) like children

When we 22) (argue) fuss and fight

If you 23) (not/know) me by now
You will never never never know me



Score =
Correct answers: