More Conditional sentences in songs

The bits of songs below contain conditional sentences from various types, including type 2 and 3.

Tip: Since songs are always full of informal language, it's very common to find contractions and not full forms (e.g.: I'm, you're, it's, it'll, I'd, etc.).  Be sure to use the contracted forms and not the full forms according to what you hear.

There is a case of contracted forms that you may need to use in conditional type 3.  This is the case of WOULD followed by HAVE.  The contractions could be WOULD'VE or, more informally, WOULDA.

Be sure you use the correct contraction to complete the lyrics.

Come back, be here – Taylor Swift
And this is when the feeling sinks in,
I don't wanna miss you like this,
Come back... be here, come back... be here.
I guess you're in New York today,
I don't wanna need you this way, Come back... be here, come back... be here.

The delicate beginning rush,
The feeling you can know so much,
Without knowing anything at all.
And now that I can put this down,

If I 1) (know) what I'd known now,

I never 2) (play) so nonchalant.


If I fell – The Beatles
If I 3) (fall) in love with you

4) (you/promise) to be true?

And help me understand
Cos I've been in love before
And I found that love was more
Than just holding hands

If I 5) (give) my heart to you

I must be sure
From the very start
That you 6) (love) me more than her

If I 7) (trust) in you oh please

8) (not/run) and hide

If I 9) (love) you too oh please

10) (not/hurt) my pride like her

Cos I couldn't stand the pain And I 11) (be) sad

if our new love 12) (be) in vain


Time after time – Cindy Lauper
Sometimes you picture me -
I'm walking too far ahead
You're calling to me, I can't hear
What you've said -
Then you say - go slow -
I fall behind -
The second hand unwinds

[Chorus:] x 2
If you 13) (be) lost you can look -

and you 14) (find) me

Time after time
If you 15) (fall)

I 16) (catch) you - I'll be waiting

Time after time

After my picture fades and darkness has
Turned to gray
Watching through windows - you're wondering
If I 17) (be) OK

Secrets stolen from deep inside
The drum beats out of time -


If I hadn’t got you – Lisa Stansfield
Whose friend 18) (I/be)

If I 19) (lie) all the time

If you never 20) (trust) my word

The love that we make
when feelings run high
Is all that makes sense in the world
And I can never go back, oh no
For a moment of sweet solitude
If I ever 21) (go) back

I'd be looking for you

If I hadn't got you
Whose friend would I be
If I 22) (not/get) you

I 23) (die) in solitary
If I hadn't got you
God only knows what I'd do
God only knows

Whose friend would I be if
I can't take a joke
If I can't pull a smile from a tear
The love that I feel
whenever you 24) (be) close
Makes yesterday's hurt disappear
And I can never go back, oh no
For a moment of sweet solitude
With my head in my hands
I've been waiting for you


If I were a boy – Beyoncé
If I 25) (be) a boy even just for a day

I 26) (roll) out of bed in the morning
And throw on what I wanted and go
Drink beer with the guys
And chase after girls
I 27) (kick) it with who I wanted
And I'd never get confronted for it
'Cause they stick up for me

{Chorus}
If I 28) (be) a boy
I think I could understand
How it feels to love a girl
I swear I'd be a better man
I 29) (listen) to her
'Cause I know how it hurts
When you lose the one you wanted
'Cause he's taking you for granted
And everything you had got destroyed


If it hadn’t been for love – Adele
Never 30) (hitch-hike) to Birmingham

If it 31) (not/be) for love

Never 32) (catch) the train to Louisiana

If it hadn't been for love
Never 33) (run) through the blindin' rain
Without one dollar to my name
If it hadn't been
If it 34) (be) for love

Never 35) (see) the trouble that I'm in
If it hadn't been for love
Woulda been gone like a wayward wind
If it hadn't been for love
Nobody knows it better than me
I 36) (not/be) wishing I was free
If it hadn't been
If it hadn't been for love


Score = Correct answers: