Stative or Non-action verbs



Stative verbs or Non-action verbs
Stative verbs (Non-action verbs) are verbs that describe a state or situation, not an action.  They indicate state, sense, desire, possession, or opinion.
They are used in the Present Simple (not in the Present Progressive) even if they describe a situation that is true at the moment of speaking or writing.

Stative verbs are:
Verbs of thinking or mental activity: think, believe, agree, understand, know, remember, forget, realise, wonder, consider
Verbs of feeling: want, wish, like, love, hate, prefer, feel, need
Verbs of perception: smell, taste, sound, see, hear
Verbs of possession: have, own, belong, possess
Verbs of existence: be, seem, appear,
Some other verbs: cost, weigh, need

Examples:
                        YES                                                            NO
I believe the planet is getting warmer.

This soup smells good.
We need a new laptop.
They own a country house.
She seems rather shy.
It costs $20.
I’m believing the planet is getting warmer. 
This soup is smelling good. 
We’re needing a new laptop. 
They’re owning a country house. 
She’s seeming rather shy. 
It’s costing $20.





Watch this video from Teacher Dan's videos YouTube channel that explains this topic more in detail.

You can practise this topic with the following activity:

Complete this text using the verbs in brackets in their correct verb tenses, either Present Simple or Present Progressive (Continuous).
Sylvie phones her friend Andrew.

Sylvie: Hello, Andrew. What (you / do) at the moment?
Andrew: I (try) to read the book the teacher assigned for homework.
Sylvie: How (it / go) ?
Andrew: Not very well. I (wish) he had given us another book. I really (not / like) it. I (hate) the writing style and I (not / understand) the plot at all.
Sylvie: I (know) exactly how you feel. I (try) too, but I (not / seem) to be getting anywhere. Let's do something else! (You / feel) like coming round?
Andrew: That (sound) like an excellent idea. I'll be there in no time!